[YLUG] Router

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 20:10:17 GMT 2007

On 04/11/2007, Dr P Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
>Of course I enable the
> port 22 for the machine 192.168.0.100.
> Checking the status:
> WAN IP: 82.3.205.41
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
> Gateway: 82.3.204.1
>
> I though that it was a routing problem since a ping to 82.3.204.1
> does not respond.
> I do not block the ping from the WAN side.

By the way most adsl modems I have used have all ports blocked by
default. Therefore pinging the gateway from the outside will usually
not work unless you open the machine firewall and allow external
pings.

If your router is a separate box to your modem then my comments in the
connected to the modem via normal ethernet, and the router's WAN
connection will not be used - but it is not entirely clear how you are
set up - Is the gateway address you quote your own box or the isp's
gateway address? Since your gateway address looks external I presume
it is not your own... usually an internal gateway will be
192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.0.xxx.xxx

--

mike cohler