[YLUG] Query about MX records and setting up a new mailserver

Rob Hall rob at waylock.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 00:04:11 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 23:52 +0000, Nicholas Thomas wrote:
> Hey. You seem to have the MX settings corect; www.dnsstuff.com has a
> checker that looks at them for you, too.

Cheers for that - as soon as the DNS settings have settled down I will
check them.

> environment, you really should try to have a backup MX (or two... :D)
> running as well. Most good ISPs will offer them for free/a small charge.

OK - I will have a word with 1and1 to see if they can offer us anything.

> If you're going to have quite low usage, then you might want to look at
> using "just courier" - it has fairly simple SMTP, IMAP, POP3, etc.

We could eventually (in 5 years) have approaching 2500 users as people
come on board. Our aim is to give students a single email address and
login that follows them through their school life from primary, middle,
secondary and into sixth form.

> daemons, and they all integrate quite nicely. Authentication is also
> quite slick, and there's even a web-based configuration frontend :)

I will look into that. Thanks

rob