[YLUG] Installday tasks

Nicholas Thomas nick at lupine.me.uk
Sat Oct 13 22:18:52 BST 2007

Gaffer. wrote:
> Hi Zoe,
>
> On Saturday 13 October 2007 18:39, Zoe Stephenson inscribed thus:
>
>> Hi,
>>   Been prodding the wiki with ideas and uploads:
>>
>>     http://www.york.lug.org.uk/ylugwiki/index.php/Installday2007
>>
>> Right now, there are a couple of design tasks that need looking at,
>> a bit of publicity spreading, and a bit of planning regarding the
>> codecs and customisation that we try to provide.  Check the list
>> and sign up for anything that you can carry out, and we'll have it
>> all sorted in no time.
>>
>> Regarding customisation, we have a couple of options:
>>
>> * Use alt install CD, OEM mode, with extra customisation from a
>> local FTP server
>>    o There is a script that we started off with last year, but I
>>      don't have the final version that ewan ended up creating
>> * Create our own install CD with our customisation added
>> * Keep it as a simple install and show people how to install what
>> they want, and keep a list of useful repos and packages handy
>>
>> In all cases, we keep official ubuntu CDs handy for the punters to
>> take away with them.
>>
>> Last year, we went with the first option, but I do wonder if it's
>> more hassle than it needs to be for the effect.  Let us know what
>> you all think.
>>

> I wonder if you have had a chance to play with "Open SuSE 10.3" yet.
>
> I have put it on a couple of clients machines.  Its very impressive.
> I'm in the process of backing up my machine at the moment, but come
> Monday I will have it on mine.
>
> It has come on in leaps since V10.0 and seems to have gotten rid of
> all the nasty bugs of 10.1 and 10.2.

*sharpens knives*

We'll have no RPM here.... :D Or YaST... :D or evil,
currently-being-sued, Novell... :D

I move to rename the LUG to "York Debian GNU/Linux (and derivatives)
User Group. All those for, say "aye". YDGLUG, for short.

I'm easy, install-wise... any of the options is fine. Although I do
generally prefer the alternate install CD, I haven't actually used the
OEM feature.

Think there's time to get a YLUG [x|g|k]dm theme put together? That'd be
a /very/ nice customisation to make if we* could pull it off...

/Nick

* I've never done anything like this, and generally think I'm terrible
at graphics design anyway, but if people think it's worth doing and
nobody else wants to do it, I'll give it a shot.

/Nick