[YLUG] Installfest preparations

Nicholas Thomas nick at lupine.me.uk
Fri Oct 26 23:53:32 BST 2007

Zoe Stephenson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 03:08:38PM +0100, Stephen Patterson wrote:
>
>> On 22 Oct 07, Zoe Stephenson (zrs1 at york.ac.uk) wrote:
>>
>>> - Other distros/OSs/apps - I know there are people here who are more
>>> familiar with other distros, would be neat to have some idea of who can
>>> bring what (it's rare that a random machine won't work with ubuntu, but
>>> if it's going to happen it's likely to happen at the installday).
>>> Similarly, if we could diversify and demonstrate Free software on OSX
>>> and that Windows thingy, that might be useful to the visitors.  Anyone
>>> willing to show off other stuff?  Inferno?  PC-BSD?  Haiku?  I'd love
>>> to see some of these things in action and the installfest seems like a
>>> good place to do this.
>>>

>> I'll burn a few x86 64 bit cds (Ubuntu & Debian) for the install day,
>> and a handfull or so of The OpenCD (open source software for windows).
>>
>> PC-BSD if I can find one, I've checked openbsd but their iso is a 3 meg
>> boot floppy for network installation, so probably no use.
>>

> I mean _PC-BSD_:
>
>   http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/21/11/
>
> Apparently Haiku don't have isos, just HDD / vmware images:
>
>   http://haiku-os.org/downloads
>
> I'll see if there's time to do some OSX stuff this weekend.

Hey gang,

So I've poster'd Biology (I'm going to pwn the technology facility too,
as they do lots of linuxy stuff) and Askham Bar Tesco is happening in
about 30 minutes.

RE: Haiku, one of my old tutors uses it for all sorts of research and
stuff (he was even offering final-year projects in it!), so if there's
interest I could see if he'd be willing to do a quick talk about it at
the installfest, or something in more detail at some point in the future?

Off shopping now!

/Nick