[YLUG] Fedora 9

Stuart Priest sap1 at york.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 08:08:38 UTC 2008

Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to install FC9 on an old laptop and when booting the DVD, I get
> the message:
> Disk error 01: AX=4200, drive 82

Heave you tested the DVD?  Have you tried using an external DVD player
instead?  I have one you could borrow (plus working i386 Fedora 9 DVD).

I have installed Fedora 9 on one system and the major problem for me was
that I could not get NIS to bind to our NIS master (firewall and selinux
were both disabled).  Others had reported the same problem and only very
recently I could find no solution.  The solution to it is apparently to
do the following...

 > I've seen some forum queries about making NIS work under Fedora 9.
 > I've had the same problem.  The trouble seems to lie with the Network
 > Manager.
 > Create a file /etc/sysconfig/ypbind, and put this line into it:
 >
 >       OTHER_YPBIND_OPTS=-no-dbus
 > This suppresses ypbind's Network Manager connection.  I have not
 > been able to get ypbind to work without it.

Regards
--
Stuart Priest, room B102B (within room B102A)
Bioscience Computing Manager, Dept. of Biology (Area 15)