[YLUG] OSM routing

Matthew Gates matthew at porpoisehead.net
Tue Aug 12 08:23:02 UTC 2008

I just discovered this last night - a web app which can route you using
Openstreetmap data.

http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/~lambertus/routing-world/index.html

It's not fast - especially for longer routes, but it does have some nice
features, like allowing you to select from three routing profiles - car,
bicycle and foot.  It will also make a little altitude graph, although I
don't know how accurate this is.

What's nice about it is that it will use foot paths for the foot route, and
cycle paths for the cycle route.  As far as I know the major routing web
apps don't do this because the mapping data which underpins the big
player's mapping tools does not contain foot paths and cycleways.  This
makes me think I need to be more careful to get all the footpaths when I'm
out mapping...

Here's a contrived example route from the Yorkshire Terrier to Frederick
Street by foot - the route chosen takes you through the park.  :-)

http://tinyurl.com/5s4st8

Matthew