[YLUG] York LUG homepage

Craig Genner craig at tuxx.org.uk
Sun Aug 24 16:04:26 UTC 2008

On Sunday 24 August 2008 16:54:00 James Hall wrote:
> Hey,
>
> From http://lug.org.uk/ website:
> > The main lug.org.uk Xen domain, which services the mailing lists and most
> > of the LUG websites, is currently down for unscheduled maintenance. We
> > have the mailing lists and archives up and running again on a new domain.
> > We are currently working hard on bringing the hosting for individual LUG
> > websites back into service. We apologise for the outage. — The lug.org.uk
> > admin team.
>
> Looks like it's just temporary.
>
> James
>
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Matthew Gates <matthew at porpoisehead.net>
wrote:
> > I tried to connect to the York LUG page at http://york.lug.org.uk/ but it
> > just re-directs to the generic lug.org.uk page...  Is the sit dead?
> >

> > Matthew

Uh, not quite.

All the lug sites, mail, and some other stuff was on a single host.  One of
the sites was used to break into the server.  This is not the first this has
happened.  In response they created a new server just for mail, and they are
in the process of creating another one for the web sites.

It will be backup when they are confident that it is secure, but that's
difficult when trying to also give a bunch of technical geeks the maximum
flexibility they want.

Thanks

Craig