[YLUG] Update fedora 10

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 10:09:33 UTC 2008

Try adding "nomodeset" (without the quotes) to the kernel boot line.

i.e. when you boot hit the down arrow button when grub starts. Then
press "e" and edit the kernel line by adding the word above to the end
of the line.
Then press enter and then "c" to get a grub command line. Then type
"boot" to continue the boot with the above command included.

In F10 there is kernel modesetting that works with some Radeon cards,
but this is very new and there are still some bugs in the code. It is
not the xorg driver but in the kernel itself now. By using nomodeset
this is bypassed. It is documents in the "common problems" page for
f10 that is referenced in the links I sent you yesterday. I presume
that you do not get the Plymouth graphic during the main boot but a
text mode blue and white line that goes across the bottom of the
screen during the initial boot phase?  X only starts once the main
boot is complete.

If the suggestion above works then you can edit the grub.conf file to
use nomodeset at every reboot.  If not then ask again and work from
that point.

Mike

mike