[YLUG] Update fedora 10

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 18:51:17 UTC 2008

I think you want to be a bit careful here - taking chunks of xorg.conf
from an old Slackware distro and putting them blindly into Fedora 10
might lead to - err , how can I say it, "unexpected results".

You need to go and read about the changes in Fedora 10 where there
have been rather huge changes to the way that graphics is supported so
it needs care at the very least. I have already posted some links
earlier in this thread - and I strongly suggest that anyone tinkering
to get things working should look and read first and then try things
tenderly second.

For a start some graphics including Radeon cards, as well as Intel
onboard graphics chips are known to be problematic in the new system
and it needs gentle nudging in exactly the right way to get things to
work. Most systems work fine with defaults but for the few systems
that fail to give a graphical desktop immediately after the install
then the known workarounds should be tried before doing anything else
- however if the system has been poked around with and then the
standard tricks are tried the results may not be pretty.

I am referring to Fedora 10 of course - other distributions that are
not as cutting edge with these developments may still have the old
hacks work fine.

Remember that by default in Fedora 10 there will be no xorg.conf
generated at all - and if you look for it in a newly installed F10
system you will not find the file!  On the other hand if you then
install kmod-nvidia for a system with an Nvidia graphics card the
install will create a suitable xorg.conf specifically to support the
parameter set for the Nvidia graphics.

However in the OP's posts you will notice that some alteration has
already been done to the newly installed system, but full details are
missing - any hacks that have been shown already to work with specific
systems need to be tried before making any changes to the key files
concerning graphics. The OP I believe has not given a full and
complete picture of what was done to the point where the original post
was submitted. Hence it is difficult to know what the best way forward
is in that case.

However I wish you good luck in helping in this case.

May you have a very Happy Linux Christmas...

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Liam Wilson <liam.wilson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 22/12/08, Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Could you send me a copy of your xorg.conf file ?
>>

> Attached. It's off an old Slackware 10.2 install. I think the
> relevant bits are:
>
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier  "** ATI (generic)                      [ati]"
>    Driver      "ati"
>    #VideoRam    8192
>    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
> EndSection
>
> # Section "DRI"
> #   Mode 0666
> #EndSection