[YLUG] clone fedora 10

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 22:59:34 UTC 2008

OK - I'll just add a few points within the text below...

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Alex Howells <alex.howells at 0wn3d.us> wrote:
> 2008/12/25 mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>:
>> OK if the OP is copying an f10 disk to another yeah you are right
>> about copying across security contexts as well ...
>
> Well, anything should be preserved by dd really.

OK

>> There have been a number of posts by the same OP about converting up
>> from FC7 to F10 and I must have been tired as I misunderstood that
>> this was trying to clone an FC7 disk and making it upgrade to F10..
>
> I'd suggest he see if his graphics "just work" under another
> distribution like Ubuntu, since it may be easier to do that than fix

He could but then it would not help diagnosing the problem with F10.
F10 has some very cutting edge stuff and the new stuff is known to not
work in specific circumstances. There are a number of new things about
the boot process as well as X that are quite new this year, including
the boot process being event driven now, and the way in which kernel
modesetting works or not, and also the default way of not having an
xorg.conf generated during the install. You can generate one and use
it after the install is complete if you wish to add special parameters
- eg if you want to load the vnc server module. The best approach is
not to change lots of things and then post when it finally does not
work after trying many changes.  The best way is to collect as many
files as possible without altering anything at all, and then entering
a bugzilla report containing as full a set of information as possible,
including relevant parts of /var/log/messages, Xorg.0.log, and any
screen messages (if any) as well as a proper description of the steps
needed to reproduce the symptoms. The OP did have a previous thread
where the complaint was that X refused to start, and then much much
later it transpired that in fact the install had not completed
properly and various attempts had been made to fix the system (not all
reported) and only the final symptoms were offered - that makes it
really hard to offer help of any value.

>> iso using the kickstart file to define what you want in the installed
>> system.
>
> Still doesn't configure the applications for you...

Indeed true - and if going from one system to the same version of the
same distro then it is easy to copy config files across - eg .mozilla
in the user area for instance. One thing that does puzzle me in this
series of posts is that it appears that the OP did not have a working
copy of F10 to start with, so I fail to understand why there was a
desire to copy the disk to another computer?  I could understand if
there was a fully operational and configured system but unless I have
misinterpreted the posts this was not the case here?

>> roll.... why anyone would then want to do a disk verbatim copy and
>> shift it from one machine to another beats me.
>
> Because in the absence of CFengine it lets you get a fully configured
> (and customized) root filesystem from machine1 to machine2 with

Yeah - but as I said I thought that in this case it was not fully
configured and may have been customised but was not working properly.
Perhaps this could be clarified?

I guess also it would be important to know if the same kind of disk
was being used and the same capacity?  Hopefully so but this was not
confirmed?

> Meh, YMMV. Two hours vs. 15 minutes including the data copy since
> 1000Mbps LAN gives me 85MB/second between computers.

Lucky if you do have gigabit available!

> There's no way I'd want to do anything other than "imaged" installs
> (disk images, or tarball-based root filesystems) for [any] work
> purposes either, Kickstart is good but isn't great if you need to
> regularly install Debian/Ubuntu or anything else which isn't
> RPM-based.

I am not a Debian/Ubuntu guy so I am not familiar with what works there....

Hopefully the OP will be able to report some success and say what he
did to make things work...

--
mike