[YLUG] NAS

Alex Howells alex.howells at 0wn3d.us
Sat Feb 2 13:32:06 GMT 2008

> That is exactly how mine works.  Buffalo WHR-G54S.
> Also if I user a browser and type in its address, put in
> username/password, I can then change its settings.  Note that there
> are two modes of operation, Bridge and Routing.  It helps to know
> that the default SSID is its mac address  this should be on the label
> underneath.

Some of these things, especially wireless access points, are
configured with a static IP address in the 192.168.0.x range to begin
with; this is always documented in the manual, and makes 'finding' it
a bit easier ;)

I've also seen NAS units configured to advertise themselves over UPnP
so that Windows Vista can locate them easily - not sure that helps you
a great deal under Linux but you could tcpdump, look for the
announcements, and heypresto you've found it's web interface too!

Either way, the manual will cover talking to it until it "grows up" :)