[YLUG] Some help with line dropping on a dialup

Nimish Shah nimish at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Feb 5 16:01:06 GMT 2008

Hi

Can anyone help here. I have a dialup (okay, no more sniggering
please) using kppp. Now when kppp starts running, everything is
fine, but after 5mins or so, or when the line has been idle (ie no
traffic) for a while the line stops working, as in there are
internet packages sent out (periodically) but nothing is coming in;
is almost as if the DNS has disappeared or something?

Anyway, this has been happening for about a few weeks and so does
anybody have any suggestions what is happening and how I can fix
it, as at the moment the workaround is disconnecting,
reconnecting ... which after a while is a pain.

I am running Mandriva 2007, kernel 2.6.17-5mdv using the slmodem
(SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz) with the install instructions

	1. Make sure that kernel is booted with "pci=routeirq"
	2. Unpack SLMODEM.gcc4.1.4
	3. cp SLMODEM/slmodemd /usr/sbin/
	4. type "slmodemd -c UK --alsa hw:0,6 &"

on a Toshiba Tecra M7 Table PC. On the same dialup setting
everything works fine (no line dropping) under Windows XP.

I did try upgrading to Mandriva 2008, but I could not get the modem
package to work again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nim,