[YLUG] Environment variable

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Sat Feb 9 14:58:41 GMT 2008

On 09 Feb 08, Dr P Dupre (pd520 at york.ac.uk) wrote:
> I have a variable set in .bash_profile ($LD_LIBRARY_PATH).
> When I log in text mode (3), the value is OK, when I switch to
> graphic mode (5), this variable becomes empty while the
> other ones are still OK.

.bash_profile is only read by login shells. If you add the variable to
.bashrc it will be read (for the current bash process) whenever bash starts.

You could also add it to .xsession to have the variable available for
any X programs.

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve at patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li
"Don't be silly, Minnie. Who'd be walking round these cliffs with a gas oven?"