[YLUG] DNS

Alex Howells alex.howells at 0wn3d.us
Sat Feb 9 16:29:55 GMT 2008

On 09/02/2008, Dr P Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thank.
>
> Now, I have a router 192.168.0.1
> I have 2 machines in 192.168.0.100 (machine1) and in .101 (machine2)
> The router has the name associated to each one.
> On each one, I can make a ping machine1 on machine1
> and ping machine2 on machine, but ping machine1 from machine2
> does not work (and vice et versa).
> I put for the DNS 192.168.0.1

Sounds like your DNS will be assigned via DHCP leases?  If so, you
probably don't want to muck with that too much or things will break :)

Just drop references to all your local machines into /etc/hosts.

That'll let you ping them easily/simply through whatever aliases you
feel are appropriate, and scales just fine up to 5-10 machines before
getting very cumbersome; internal DNS is definitely an option, but its
going to be 50x more work to setup and requires careful maintenance.