[YLUG] Pointer help correction

Pete Fenelon pete at fenelon.com
Mon Jan 14 00:34:38 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:30:28AM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

> Why not use an enum?  You gain type-safety and the intent is clearer.

Most of the 'solutions' to the original problem seem to be crudely
transliterating the assembly-language data structures to old-skool C.

I think the wrong questions are being asked - and the key issue is
"what is the original poster trying to *achieve*?"

There is a disturbing emphasis on (usually incorrect) language details
rather than trying to recapture design rationale.

> If your goal (again, we have no clue what this is) is to have a
> general list of variables of different types, there are cleaner ways
> to do this.

Agreed. Don't blindly reimplment in pidgin C++; go back to the original
design (or better - *specification*) and write it using a modern idiom.

pete
--
pete at fenelon.com "irk the purists - if you've never then you ought."