[YLUG] sendmail

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Wed Jan 23 16:54:08 GMT 2008

On 23 Jan 2008, at 16:16, Dr P Dupre wrote:

> How can I configure sendmail to have listening on port 25 (x.x.x.x)
> and
> not only on 127.0.0.1 like it is by default.

Depending on your distro, config will be in /etc/mail or similar.

Within there edit sendmail.mc, then regenerate sendmail.cf with

make -C /etc/mail

or whatever your distro has configured.

The details of configuring sendmail.mc are best looked up
as they are not trivial.

My general answer these days to any sendmail question
is "Don't. Install exim instead". It's quicker to do that
and learn how to configure it than to fight sendmail config files IMO.

If you really want to configure sendmail

http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/soser-mailn.html

is good

Arthur

--
By and large PHP seems to be making the same progression of mistakes
as early Perl did, only slower - Larry Wall