[YLUG] sendmail

john halewood john.halewood at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 17:44:06 GMT 2008

On 23/01/2008, Dr P Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I configure sendmail to have listening on port 25 (x.x.x.x) and
> not only on 127.0.0.1 like it is by default.
> Thank.

You'll probably find an entry in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc (or
/etc/sendmail.mc) that looks like this:
DAEMON_OPTIONS('Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
Comment this out by putting dnl at the start of the string, and then
rebuiild the sendmail configuration file by typing 'make' in the
appropriate directory. But you should check over the configuration to
make sure you don't relay by default (sendmail has extensive
documentation about this, but you will probably find the syntax
somewhat confusing).

Regards
John