[YLUG] hello, can anyone help out? Money available for help with Ubuntu!

Matthew Gates matthew at porpoisehead.net
Tue Jul 22 16:25:27 BST 2008

On Sunday 20 July 2008, Antoinette McCormick wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a non-geek who, fed up with Microsoft, bought a new (or rather,
> refurbished) Dell Inspiron 530, made for Ubuntu, and it has been
> delivered, Ubuntu running on it.  But I do not know how to get going on
> the internet.  Help, anyone?  I can pay a poor student or other kind of
> kind person roughly £20 for a teaching session, Q and A mostly, and it
> would be great if you'd answer questions or help me fix bugs in the
> future.  Any takers?  I need you now!

Hello Anoinette, did anyone respond directly to you?

> A problem I face now is the wireless card I bought does not seem
> compatible, and I wonder which kind is and where I can buy it.  Or maybe,
> you can configure the one I've got, as there are complex instructions, or
> complex to me; you have to know code or what to do with the code
> supplied.  Can you help with this?

Do you know what type of wireless card it is (manufacturer and model)?
There are some devices which are a pain to get working, but it's usually
possible without buying new hardware.

What instructions do you have?

Also, what sort of internet connection to you have in your home - DSL,
dialup, cable?

> I can help by finding out the password for root, which I imagine I'll
> need.

Ubuntu usually doesn't have a root account exactly (usually your normal user
account is also used to give administrative permissions to programs that
need it).  Having said that, it's quite possible to set up a root account.
In any case, you will need something like this. Don't send passwords to
this mailing list  :-)

> My email is ... my mobile ... or leave a msg at
> ... (Don't leave a message on mobile, I don't know how to
> retrieve them!)  Please text me or otherwise be in touch as soon as
> possible!!  Thanks so much,

Unless someone has already responded directly to you, it's probably worth
using the mailing list for at least the first few contacts.  With more
people seeing descriptions of your problem, there's more chance that
someone will know a quick and easy solution.

If the problem is tricky and needs someone to go to the machine, I'm sure
someone will be willing to help you out, but it may not be necessary.

Matthew