[YLUG] YLUG social reminder

Alex Howells alex.howells at 0wn3d.us
Mon Jul 28 01:35:45 BST 2008

2008/7/27 Matthew Gates <matthew at porpoisehead.net>:
> Reminder for the social, Monday 28th July 2008.  I assume in the Yorkshire
> Terrier at 7:30.  Bring your GPG signing wotnots!

Remind me what we need to get stuff signed again?  My name *is* Alex
Howells, I pwomise ;)

My usual terms for signing keys are:

  -> If we're going to make this as little faff as possible, people should be
      prepared to respond to e-mail challenges within 72 hours and thus
       anyone new to GPG should test they can sign/encrypt mail before
       turning up on Monday night ;)  Your key should be published to a
       well-known keyserver like subkeys.pgp.net in *ADVANCE*.

  -> You must have taken steps to ensure you can revoke your key,
       if and when required, for example if your computer is compromised.
       A lot of guides to GPG key generation state this is optional, but I'd
       ask nicely that if you do *not* have a revocation certificate,
you tell me.
       I won't sign your key if that's the case, sorry.

  -> If you're the type of person who loses USB sticks with your key on and
       doesn't revoke them, tell me in advance so I can refuse politely.
       This means before there is cider in me, or it may be less polite :P

  -> Must have at least two forms of identification, one must be government
       issued and contain a photograph which looks vaguely like you.
       I'll trust you more if both forms are photographic and govt. issued.
       Maximum brownie points for a driving license and passport ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you'll need all of the following:

  * Key ID
  * Key Fingerprint
  * Key Type
  * Key Length
  * E-mail Address
  * Pen and/or Pencil
  * Notebook, Paper, etc

About the only thing you should not bring/use for the purposes of
key-signing on the night:

  * Laptop, notebook, sub-notebook, PDA, smartphone. Anything
involving doing it on the night. :)

Apologies if I'm re-iterating stuff already stated, but these
key-signing affairs can be a right pain in the arse so it's better to
"measure twice, cut once".

See you tomorrow.