[YLUG] EEEPC 4GB 701 Black For Sale

Dale Jefferson dale at efficientpc.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 09:14:55 BST 2008

Alex,

I buy over 1/2 million pounds worth of IT hardware a year, and have
account managers at most of the major distribution channels in the UK, I
assure you that no one is buying that cheap. If you know where I can buy
that cheap please let me know!

I am one of the cheapest sellers of the EEEPC in the UK,
http://eeestock.cpjackson.co.uk/

The average is closer to £230

I have used auctions in the past and made a loss for the massive amount
of advertising it gets, ie like this...

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 22:48 +0100, Alex Howells wrote:
> 2008/6/11 Dale Jefferson <dale at efficientpc.co.uk>:
> > Looks like the company selling the new ones are making a massive loss on
> > the auction ones.
>
> Companies don't exist to make a loss, and if retail is £220 then it'd
> be safe to assume they're getting them much cheaper. Typical IT stuff
> seems to be acquirable via distributors for 30-35% off MSRP if you're
> buying in any kind of bulk :)
>
> It'd be extremely risky to run a loss-leader on the same marketplace
> as a profit-making product line.  Consumers aren't all completely
> stupid, they will look around, and take your cheaper product; if >25%
> of people did that (and they would on eBay) then your business model
> just got shafted, forcefully, without consent!
>
> Take a recent product which seems to get hyped a lot... it's an Intel
> Atom platform comprising a mainboard with CPU fitted -- retail they're
> going for about £50 inc. VAT and distributors will hook you up for
> about £37.20 (also inc. VAT) if buying them in bulk which works out to
> about a 25% discount... the MSRP for the unit is just over $100 USD if
> I recall.
>
> So in short.. either they know something you don't, are doing way more
> bulk and get better discounts, or they're daft. ;)
Cheers Dale,

EfficientPC Limited
http://efficientpc.co.uk

Phone: 0845 8695667
Fax: 0845 0042372
Email: sales at efficientpc.co.uk
Jabber: dalejefferson at jabber.me.uk

Registered in England Number: 6074682
Reg. Office (Do not send mail): 145-157 St. John Street, London, EC1V
4PY

Trading Address:
EfficientPC Ltd, 5 St. Johns Close, Stamford Bridge, York, YO41 1PJ