[YLUG] VPS running out of memory

Chris Ganderton chris at thefraggle.com
Tue Mar 4 18:09:45 GMT 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:20:33 +0000, vivi <vivi at mage.me.uk> wrote:
> I'm having problems compiling stuff as i keep running out of memory. Its
on
> a 128mb debian vps :( . Any ideas how to get around this other than
> upgrading?
>

> cc1plus: out of memory allocating 24584 bytes after a total of 89288704
> bytes
> make[3]: *** [World.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/vivi/Ascent/3_8_stable/src/ascent-world'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/vivi/Ascent/3_8_stable/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vivi/Ascent/3_8_stable'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> Mage:/home/vivi/Ascent/3_8_stable#
>
>  -Reza

Is the box swapping before you even attempt to compile the software? I'd
take a look and make sure that it can swap properly. You could always
increase the swap space by adding in a ``swap file''. Personally though I'd
upgrade the VPS to at least 256mb :-)

-chris.