[YLUG] VPS running out of memory

Alex Howells alex.howells at 0wn3d.us
Tue Mar 4 22:04:47 GMT 2008

> I have no idea what OpenVZ is, but the xen 3.0 domU I have at bitfolk
>  works well and has a 256mb swap enabled, what other limitations does
>  OpenVZ have that are like that?

It's not particularly a limitation, the technology is based upon
Virtuozzo and it's fairly "easy" for a VPS provider to tweak and tune
things so you can't do certain stuff. Certainly the commercial version
has ways to QoS access to CPU, RAM and I/O plus of course, bandwidth
usage via network interfaces.

As I recall it's also very easy to oversell with Virtuozzo; allocate
20GB of customers to a 16GB machine on the basis, just like Internet
usage, there are peaks and troughs and it's very rare for 100% of
customers to be at 100% usage, at once!