[YLUG] D-link

Phil Jordan lists at philjordan.eu
Sun Mar 9 20:27:19 GMT 2008

Hi,

Dr P Dupre wrote:
> Thank for your email.
> I am only cinsidering it now !
> I have a machine FC6 (hdx) and a machine FC7 (sdx).
> lsmod |grep ata gives on the FC7:
> ata_generic             8773  0
> ata_piix               16709  11
> libata                 99377  2 ata_generic,ata_piix
> scsi_mod              119757  4 sr_mod,sg,libata,sd_mod
>
> and:
> ata_piix               18757  0
> libata                120881  1 ata_piix
> scsi_mod              140621  2 libata,sd_mod
>
> So it looks like in both machine, similar modules are loaded.
> However, the /etc/modprobe.conf files are different:
> in FC7:
> alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
>
> but nothing like that in FC6

Hmm, okay, at this stage I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass; I don't
see a way to go back to the old ATA drivers in that case.

> I guess that I can blacklist by inserting blacklist ata (or ata_generic)
> in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
>
> What do you think ?

I doubt this will help, as you can see that ata_generic has a refcount
of 0; it's probably not actually used. You could check the Fedora
mailing list archives to see if anyone else has been in a similar
situation. You could also look at the libata mailing list, but I suspect
they'll just tell you off for using so many partitions. (rightfully so,
in my opinion; if your system is so rigid that it requires so many
partitions and can't be upgraded to LVM, why are you trying to upgrade
the OS?)

In any case I'm definitely not an expert on Kernel or ATA questions, sorry.

~phil