[YLUG] PCMCIA USB adapter

Phil Jordan lists at philjordan.eu
Mon Mar 10 13:10:46 GMT 2008

Paul Gibbs wrote:
> I get the impression that since 2.6.14 kernel PCMCIA has been well
> supported but there are still lots of sites that suggest it could be a
> problem.

I've not had any trouble with PCMCIA recently. (i.e. 2.6.x Kernels) I've
only got PCMCIA FireWire, SATA and Network cards, but haven't had any
trouble at all getting them to work. As far as I can tell, as long as
it's a CardBus card, not the ancient PC Card style, it really is plug &
play.

> Should I be able to just plug in a PCMCIA USB adapter or do I need to
> look for specific hardware?

I think USB hosts tend to be universally EHCI-based these days, so I
honestly can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. I've used PCI
cards with USB 2.0 controllers, and I've never had to do anything to set
them up.

> http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_linux_types.html is the most recent list I
> could find put even that is sparse and old.

I suspect the lack of information means that nobody is having any
trouble with them.

~phil