[YLUG] USB stick weirdness

Paul Wardman paul.wardman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:58:28 GMT 2008

Hi, about the first time I've posted on here, as thankfully my Linux
experience has been mostly painless (go Ubuntu!).

However, over the last couple of weeks, my USB stick has been acting
strangely --- at first it would only mount read only, but I soon found out
that it was due to corrupted files, and because I couldn't get fsck to work
on it properly (I suck at finding the correct device in /dev for it) chkdsk
under windows at cleared things up fine.

More recently, though, it's started spontaneously unmounting itself under
windows, and Linux machines (three so far, including the dual booting
windows machine that checked the filesystem) completely fail to notice it
--- dmesg gives absolutely nothing to do with it.

Any ideas or is it completely messed up? And what could cause that, if it
is, given nothing really has changed?

Cheers,
Paul