[YLUG] USB stick weirdness

Nicholas Thomas nick at lupine.me.uk
Tue Mar 11 02:51:20 GMT 2008

Paul Wardman wrote:
> Aha, thanks for that. However, my SATA harddisk also shows up as
> /dev/sdaxx, so presumably the USB stick would be a sda bigger than that.
>
> I've not tried formatting it yet, as my windows 'puter is acting
> weirdly too (damn I'm having the worst luck with PCs these days) --- I
> think the PSU is on the way out --- but I'll give it a go next I can.
> I'll attempt other sticks when I can, but this is on three different
> machines, one of which, as I said, is the windows machine that can
> read it (semi-) ok.
>
> Paul
If you have one SATA drive in your PC (sdax), then future drives will be
sdbx, sdcx, etc. The scheme is "drive letter", partition number.

Good luck with it, anyways - USB sticks are stupidly cheap these days,
so it's not a huge issue if it is broken. As long as you get your data
off it well in advance! :)

/Nick