[Fsuk-manchester] Re: [YLUG] Photo of the Manchester Stallman talk

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Mon May 12 21:51:13 BST 2008

On 12/05/2008, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> There has been a great deal of discussion on this list about the
>  arrangements for getting to see Richard Stallman's talk, and then nice
>  pictures of the guy - but maybe one of you who was at the talk might
>  say what he said?
>
>  Did he give some important news, some cool new developments in Linux,
>  a new kernel improvement that is about the break onto the linux world?
>
>  Was there some news of problems with linux? Any issues with GLP3?
>  Something to tell us what the talk was about?
>
>  Mike
>

>  On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Noah Slater <nslater at bytesexual.org> wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  >  I took along my camera to the Stallman talk in the hopes of getting some good
>  >  photos, but my view was partially obscured, which was a shame. I did manage get
>  >  one shot before the tears started to well up because he refused to sign my key.
>  >
>  >   http://bytesexual.org/tumbolia/stallman/
>  >
>  >  This location is temporary and I will delete it at some whimsical moment, if you
>  >  want to use or redistribute it you can do so under the WTFPL[1][2].
>  >
>  >  [1] http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/COPYING
>  >  [2] if only so that Tim Dobson doesn't blog about me hating freedom ;)
>  >
>  >  Best,
>  >
>  >  --
>  >  Noah Slater - Bytesexual <http://bytesexual.org/>
>  >

> >  York mailing list
>  >  York at lists.lug.org.uk
>  >

>  --
>
> mike

He covered the history of the development of Linux by Linus Torvalds in some
depth, and how this provided the final missing piece to the GNU system he
had begun about seven years prior.  He also reminded the audience that there
is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels... ;)
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8