[YLUG] VPS for a beer a month

David Morris davey at target-support.com
Wed Nov 12 19:46:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 10:14 +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2008, at 09:38, Stephen Patterson wrote:
> > I've been using www,vpsvillage.com for about 18 months or so now, no
> > complaints, on the $6 package. You get a basic linux command-line
> > install of Debian or Ubuntu (I think they have other options too) with
> > full root access.
>
> Looks interesting - and there now appear to be some good lower end VPS
> services around.  I found this blog which tries to list all the low
> price services - the link is to his table of providers
> 	http://www.lowendbox.com/virtual-server-comparison/
>
> However a recommendation from a satisfied customer is always good!

I can recommmend York's very own Bytemark who have provided a great
service over the last 18 months. The VM costs about 15 quid per month
but I have two sites share it so that's about 7.50 per month each (one
is just brochureware so it does not have a big impact on the second
MySQL backed site).   I had an uptime of over a year previously and it's
currently:

~# uptime
 07:45:12 up 97 days,  8:19,  1 user,  load average: 0.34, 0.29, 0.27

That speaks volumes!

Bytemark support has also been impressive (and available) when I have
had problems (mostly self-inflicted).   So, if you can get 2-3 sites on
their VM then the average cost can be competitive with the budget end of
the market and you'll get great availability and support.