[YLUG] Possible Project

Peter Hawkins (Home) peter.hawkins at poppleton.org
Tue Nov 18 18:13:39 UTC 2008

I wonder if anyone on this list would have the necessary skills to design a swipe card reader system to facilitate a membership scheme.

The system would need to be able to read a swipe car to confirm the identity of a member who would be entitled to discount prices in a bar. The idea would be that the barman would swipe the card and the system would answer yes or no as to whether the card was valid. The system would need to be able to cancel each individual membership at a fixed point in the year by ceasing to recognise the card until recognition was restored manually following payment of a membership fee.

It would also be good if the system could ‘write’ the necessary information to the card in the first place to create a unique identity for the member but I believe it is possible to buy stand-alone machines which do this.

If anyone would be interested in this project, I would be happy to discuss details off list.

Peter Hawkins