[YLUG] Possible Project

Peter Hawkins (Home) peter.hawkins at poppleton.org
Tue Nov 18 20:29:50 UTC 2008

Hi Derrick,

It doesn't even need to be that sophisticated. It just needs to be a means of identifying whether the holder is entitled to a discounted price on items purchased at the bar. The location is a community centre and the need is to distinguish between prices for those who might use the bar on a fairly regular basis, and who would be 'members' of the scheme, from those who are using the bar on a one-off basis because they are on the premises using one of the function rooms or the main hall for a party, reception or similar event.

In many cases, the 'members' will be known to the bar staff and there will only be a need to check the card through the system when the membership renewal comes around to ensure that they have paid their membership fee and that has been recorded on the system. The cards don't need to hold any personal information, just something which enables the database to recognize who they are and be able to flash up a Yes or No on the screen to indicate whether or not their card is valid in the current membership year.

I would think a relatively low cost till could be set up with 2 buttons for each item, one at 'standard' price and one at the discounted price so the bar staff can simply press the appropriate button for members and non-members after swiping the card (if they didn't already know that the purchaser was entitled to the discount prices) but there would not be a need to link the card system to the till.

I guess I am looking to confirm that something like this is feasible at a cost which is somewhat lower than the price I have been quoted for a full EPOS system but, assuming it is, I would then be looking for someone to put the package together on a commercial basis.

Peter