[YLUG] Balck is Green

Matthew Gates matthew at porpoisehead.net
Sun Nov 23 14:12:07 UTC 2008

Is it a CRT?  If so it could be caused by your screen having been placed
near a fairly strong magnet.  This can cause a semi-permanent field to occur
in some part of the monitor which deflects the electron beam just a little,
causing dis-colouration.

There is often an option to "degauss" a screen available from the monitor's
on screen menu.  Choose this.  It should make a clunky buzz noise and the
screen will flicker for a few seconds.  With a bit of luck the colours will
be restored to normal.

If your monitor does not have a degauss option, it is possible to fix (or
improve) it with a strong magnet which you must waft round the screen to try
to remove the nasty field which is causing the problem.  However, there is a
very small chance of success, and a high probability of making things worse.
You could try taking it to a TV repair shop (if you can find some real old-
school place down a side street).

Matthew