[YLUG] Website news

Harry Mills mail at hjmills.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 22:24:56 UTC 2008

The wiki is useful if anyone contributes regularly to it. If it does not
grow then it might as well be replaced by something less susceptible to spam
attacks and more suited to the sites purpose.

An alternative is to have someone who can shove stuff up for other people on
the odd occasion that something needs putting up there. This could be run
off a CMS package like Joomla or custom made (static or dynamic).

Another suggestion would be to incorporate a planet style thing to aggregate
from members sites if members are interested. It would have to be something
in addition to the rest of the site, possibly static, for information on
YLUG events etc.

It would also be nice to get some calendar and openstreetmap integration for
the socials if possible. What facilities are available on the server to use?

I might have more thoughts after a sleep...

Harry

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Zoe Stephenson <zrs1 at york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi gang,
>  Have been busy this evening finding out how to get a YLUG website
> up and running.  Basically, I need to download and review the content
> from the old site, and set up a new site on the shiny new, less
> compromised server.  I've made relevant requests to the lug.org.uk
> people to get that moving, will post updates as I get them.
>
> Current priority is to get advertising up for the installfest; I'll
> post separately about that nearer to the weekend.  Meanwhile, does
> anyone have any opinions on whether to stick with the mediawiki
> approach that we've been using on the YLUG site, or to switch to
> something different?  Whatever we go for, it won't be up for a little
> while yet, but this seems like a good time to get the discussion
> going.
>
> --
>  -- zoe

Regards,