[YLUG] Web sites hacking router [was: Re: Router]

Alex Howells alex at howells.me
Mon Sep 29 13:39:34 UTC 2008

2008/9/29 Pete Fenelon <pete at fenelon.com>:
> I'm following the UPnP Internet Gateway Device task force fairly closely.
>
> The level of confusion *inside* the task force is pretty scary. Once
> this percolates through to device manufacturers it's going to be truly
> horrendous.
>
> Turn off UPnP on your router.

For the ultimate in security, turn off your router. Then follow these
simple steps:

   1)  unplug router from wall
   2)  unplug computer from wall
   3)  invite hackers to pwn you at 127.0.0.1

   optional "super secure" additions:
   4)  place router and PC(s) / laptop(s) into metal container
   5)  add some lead weights
   6)  place in boot of car
   7)  drive to boat
   8)  sail boat to middle of ocean
   9)  drop equipment off side.

Relax, kick back, and tell your bank they're fsckwits for using this
newfangled Internet lark. Insist on telephone banking which is oh so
secure, I mean, nobody on earth could *possibly* know your mothers
maiden name or listen in on the call. Hah.