[YLUG] Servers free to a good home

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 07:29:52 UTC 2009

On 24 Apr 2009, at 21:39, ylug.emorrp1 at mamber.net wrote:

> I don't have a car, but I
> do have a trusty rucksack which should hopefully fit them in nicely

Sir, I salute you - you are a truly heroic person!

A Compaq 1850R is a 3U full length rack mount server.  Its damn heavy
- you normally need 2 people to place it in a rack unless its very low
in the rack.  The disks its using are 3.5 inch drives - those are
quite heavy too and 4 at the front make the server unbalanced to the
front.

The Compaq 4214 disk shelf (assumed the type from the description) is
another 3U unit, not full length.  Its not bad weight wise if empty.
With 14 disks in its in serious back trouble territory.

Don't try and carry these for any distance in a rucksack!

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.com ]