[YLUG] My own rebuild of the Fedora F12 DVD install iso

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:11:39 UTC 2009

Over a period of time I have learned how to use the Fedora toolchain
(mock/pingi) to rebuild install DVD isos for Fedora releases from the
current rpm package sets. This is exceptionally useful when there have
been installer issues that have come to light after the release of a
new version.  So these days when there have been a number of important
updates I do a rebuild of the iso with all packages updated, and
possibly adding a few packages that were not in the original released
DVD, as well as removing a lot of the language support that I have no
need for. Then for any new installs I use my own iso either burned to
a DVD or as an HD install. This usually results in a DVD iso that is
both up to date as well as smaller in total size. This then means that
a long update after install is avoided.  However I should say that in
F12 updates now use delta rpms by default, and this saves around 85%
to 90% of the download bandwidth for a typical update run, compared to
updating the same package set in earlier releases!

Neither Fedora, nor Fedora Unity, make such updated isos available in
a timely fashion, if at all, but I thought that if anyone in this
group wants an up to date iso copy occasionally then I am prepared to
make my rebuild available on a limited basis. I ran a rebuild of the
F12 i386 iso earlier today with the latest kernel
(kernel-2.6.31.6-145.fc12.i686 ) included, and I will be using it to
install in a laptop next weekend.

If someone on this list has a server with enough space to add these
files (about 2GB for the main iso), then I would be happy to upload my
iso and checksum files for anyone to use - with the usual proviso that
I am not responsible for any problems ensuing from the use of the
files. As far as I can tell the isos that I build work exactly as the
original release iso - I have only built for i386, and not 64 bit or
ppc - and only English as the supported language.

If you want a copy then let me know either to this list, or email me
privately, with how I can upload the file - and then you can make it
available by whatever method you like.  If no servers are available to
upload the files to, then if you are at York University and can bring
me a usbkey (4GB) I can put a copy of the files on it - this is only
for someone who wants to use this method to put the files on their
server to offer up to others, as I would only have a limited time to
do this during the daytime. I don't have the time to offer this
generally, nor do I have server space to offer downloads myself.

I thought this might be of interest to some on the list.

--
mike