[YLUG] mv and cp to NAS via samba

nigel white xm2 at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 20 08:17:25 UTC 2009

Thanks for these ideas Gary. Here's the results -

sudo mkdir -p /media/qserver/q
worked fine. A new directory was created.

sudo mount -o mode=666 smb://qserver/q /media/qserver/q
got
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on smb://qserver/q,
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       dmesg | tail  or so

All greek. What next?

When we get this mounting process working smoothly, will it need to be
done after each boot, or will it remember the mount?

I've noticed that some wizardry seems to mount things on the fly - eg
once I have browsed to /q once after each boot, using the gui file
browser, an icon called "q on qserver" appears on my desktop, and also
in the list of "places" in the gui sidebar. Something similar happens
when there's a CD in the drive. Its a handy feature. Is this an example
of a mount? Is this sambas' doing?

Many thanks
Nigel