[YLUG] Fedora usability [was Re: clone fedora 10]

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Mon Jan 5 10:29:55 UTC 2009

On 25 Dec 2008, at 22:59, mike cloaked wrote:

> F10 has some very cutting edge stuff and the new stuff is known to not
> work in specific circumstances

I really hate to start distro wars, but ....

I used to be a RedHat user, starting with 5.2 and continuing on as RH
changed
to Fedora. I now think that Fedora is too bleeding edge to use on a
box you want
to do work on. There's too many little things like this that bite you,
and that's before
we get to selinux.

Selinux, while an interesting research project, is not suitable for
a desktop box in it's current state. It just leads to a world of pain
as soon as you
want to move outside the official repos, which is something that I
want to do a lot
on a desktops. Even on servers, I tend to disable it. It's getting
better, and
has promise, but the manageability still needs a lot of work.

I still prefer RHAS/CentOS on the server, but most of that is just
familiarity I fear.
I use Ubuntu for desktop Linux now.

Arthur