[YLUG] Fedora usability [was Re: clone fedora 10]

Anthony Edwards anthony at yoyo.org
Tue Jan 6 15:57:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 03:28:12PM +0000, mike cloaked wrote:

> I don't know Ubuntu at all, and I know it has a similar popularity
> level to Fedora in terms of approximately the same number of
> installs/updates - but I don't know if a similar fraction of hardware
> has problems with Ubuntu as with Fedora?

My guess would be that Ubuntu has a much larger installed base than
Fedora at this point, based on the fact that just about everybody
I know who uses Linux (geeks and non-geeks alike) has at least one
machine running Ubuntu, and no-one I know (except for a Red Hat
engineer!) is running Fedora.

Speaking personally, I have only ever gotten Fedora to install on
one machine among the many that I own or have owned over the course
of the last few years, with that one exception Anaconda has always
crashed at some stage of the installation process!

--
Anthony Edwards
anthony at yoyo.org