[YLUG] Fedora usability [was Re: clone fedora 10]

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:51:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Gaffer. <derrick_s at tesco.net> wrote:

>> Hope this helps.
>
> Oh yes it does.  Thankyou.
>
> I assume that I can easily switch between both Gnome and KDE in a
> similar way to SuSE.  I will find out soon.   ;-)

Yes - if you are using kdm then when you are about to login then just
select from the session type at the bottom before clicking to login.
Clearly if you have only installed the gnome and kde desktops then you
can only use these but Fedora 10 does have packages for icewm, and a
few other lightweight desktops also.

It will remember the last session type you used....

> Someone said that you get used to the way a particular distribution
> works and now that I have Fedora 10 on a machine, I realise how true
> that is !  YAST does an awful lot for you without having to work too
> hard.

In Fedora 10 if you don't like using yum (which incidentally is
extremely powerful when used with the yum plugins) you can use
PackageKit - find Package Management from the desktop options from
either gnome or kde. PackageKit is a gui system that has been built
over the past year or two and makes life simpler - though I prefer
doing things the cli way probably because I am an older user and like
to have complete control over what is happening! However the gui
systems do work and should make things easier should you wish to use
them.

--
mike