[YLUG] ssh to York

john halewood john.halewood at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 00:30:56 UTC 2009

2009/7/2 Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk>:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> this is the resolv.conf:
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
> As I said their is router
>
> By the way when I try to connect to my machine, I still have the same
> error message. Do yo think that it is a problem with the configuration
> of my machine ?

Looks like it, because (guessing) you're only resolving external DNS
entries and not the internal ones for campus, which will not be
published on the internet (certainly hope not). Are you trying to
connect to a name rather than an IP address? That would explain the
problem. Try traceroute/tracepath, that should give you a clue (if it
doesn't reolve the name that's your problem, if it can't get to the IP
address you've got a different one)..

regards
john