[YLUG] Odd Ubuntu 8.04.2 ntpd issue

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Tue Jul 14 09:30:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 10:20 +0100, Anthony Edwards wrote:
> I wonder if I can call on the collective wisdom of the group for
> assistance with an odd ntpd issue.
>
> Yesterday I noticed that my system clock was way out of synch with that
> of a remote server that I regularly ssh into, further investigation
> revealed that my own system clock was running about 1 minute fast.
>
> Since then, further troubleshooting has revealed an oddity with ntpd and
> Ubuntu 8.04.2.
>
> After booting, ntpd starts as shown by the output of ps -ef:
>
> anthony at riverside:~$ ps -ef | grep ntp
> ntp       4250     1  0 09:44 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -u 116:126 -g
>
> However, ntpd does not actually begin listening on any interfaces nor
> synching with ny remote ntp servers, as shown by the output of cat
> /var/log/syslog | grep ntp.

Can you show the output of this command please?

> Additionally, checking using ntpq confirms this:
>
> anthony at riverside:~$ ntpq
> ntpq> pe
> No association ID's returned

OK, can you show your ntp.conf?  If you are using hostnames and not IP
addresses in the config file, it possible that on bootup ntpd is being
started before the networking itself is working, or before DNS
resolution is working?

Try replacing one or more hostnames with IP addresses and see if that
changes things at all.

Gavin