[YLUG] NetworkManager pptp vpn and routes?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 14:05:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Roger Leigh<rleigh at codelibre.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 03:48:57PM +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
>> Because I did not save any copies of the output of "route -n" or "ip
>> ro sho" previously under F10 (nor the contents of /etc/resolv.conf)
>> when it was working, I can't compare the current routing information
>> with what I had previously.
>
> I just do a simple
>
>  ip route add 144.32.0.0/16 dev $iface
>
> so my default route and all other routing stays the same, and
> all university addresses are routed via the VPN interface.

I explicitly wanted not to have to run additional commands outside of
the NetworkManager interface - that way I just now click on the NM
icon and select connections and then my University VPN and a few
seconds later I am done and connected - I did not want to have to run
additional CLI commands, or to make an additional desktop icon to add
routes manually. The way I described earlier for getting this working
does do the job, and makes life simple. It is good to hear that this
also works in Ubuntu (and I note Arthur's comments about getting the
172.... address netmask correct.)

--
mike