[YLUG] recovering partition table

john halewood john.halewood at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 14:01:46 UTC 2009

2009/7/25 Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk>:
> Thank for the advice.
>
> So, I think that the best would be to make a dd if=/dev/sdd5 of=/tmp/sdd5
> (and so on for each partitions), but I failed in dd because I guess
> that I am do giving the right count !
>
> Than I could do either a mount of the file (if it recognize the type)
> or a fsck of the file ?

No Worried on two counts, one is that there's no labels for the
partitions, which I would expect to be automatically set up, and also
that if you do dd if=/dev/sdd5 of=/tmp/sdd5, it'll be of no use, and
anyway, where's /tmp mounted? On /dev/sdd? That won't work at all. Do
you know what filesystem was on these partitions in the first place?
(ext3, reiser,xfs etc). They all show up as 'linux' but that doesn't
prove much.

regards
john