[YLUG] recovering partition table

Patrick Dupre pd520 at york.ac.uk
Sat Jul 25 20:53:14 UTC 2009

Wiat a minute,

May be their is one point that I did not get !

Sure, I did not have a blank drive, but I do see what else I could have
done by cloning the drive. Right now I am trying to save one, the other
one is still pending, I will decide what to do according the success that
I have with the first one.
Till now, I have done only 2 operations which are not reversible:
testdisk and the restoration of the first partition (swap).
Without testdisk, their was nothing that I could do. In addition, the
information that I got from testdisk was correct.
Doing dd if=  of= from one partition to another partition on another
disk cannot damage the first disk !
Then I can do a fsck on the new partition.
That way the recovering is just painfull because I have to guess the
first directory of the hierarchie (in fact it really painfull for /usr/lib
because of the number of directories).
At the end, for the OS, I will see if my work is OK. by booting the
machine, but I still have the option of the checking the installation.
Their is 2 directories that I really need to recover: /home and /backup.
But again, even if I fail I still have the original disk. But I really
fails, I do not see the option. Nobody came with one !

For the other disk I even have copy of the partition table, and I
can check if it matches the information that I have and attribue
properly the cylinders.

Again, I do not see what is wrong in what I am doing !

--
---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |    email: pd520 at york.ac.uk