[YLUG] Data recovery End of the story ?

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Tue Jul 28 13:11:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:20:23PM +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:

> 1) dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sdy   did not work (incomplet data copy)

Was this because the destination was too small, or an error
prevented a full copy?

> 2) I was rescued by ddrescue /dev/sdb11 /dev/sdcx

If dd failed while ddrescue worked, this implies that disk errors
caused the copy to abort.  ddrescue continues on error so that
it copies every /readable/ block, but if particular blocks are bad
they won't get copied.  The implication of this is that your disk
isn't just corrupted, it's broken and needs replacing.

If you are sure you've got all the data off that you are going to,
use smartctl to check the disk status, and badblocks with the -w
and -f options to test it (plus -v -s to get more information about
its progress).

Regards,
Roger
--