[YLUG] ssh to York

john halewood john.halewood at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 15:10:12 UTC 2009

2009/6/28 Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk>

> Hello,
>
> I use to open a ssh session to my machine at the University form home
> (both running fedora 10). However, the connection terminated is case
> of unactivity after 1 or 2 hours. I tried to modify the
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config file by setting:
> ClientAliveInterval 7200
> and TCPKeepAlive yes
> But it does not change (I restarted the sshd service also).
> Any idea ?

Used to have this problem all the time with our old Cisco router at work,
but when we dropped the stupidly expecsive (£13kyear) leased line and moved
to DSL the problem went away. There's also the possibility that your DSL
modem/your ISP/the university's firewall might be filtering out the keep
alive packets as well.

Regards
John