[YLUG] Installing Ubuntu without CD or USB

Harry Mills mail at hjmills.co.uk
Sat Mar 7 10:21:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 7:05 PM, David Ross <arragon at lineone.net> wrote:

> Okay this is an odd one.  I have a hobbled machine.  It's a fairly recent
> Sony Vaio which I'd like to reuse.  Even though it's recent it won't book
> via USB.  And the real issue is that the CD driver has failed, and I'm not
> likely to dork out for another.  So I have no USB, and a non-working
> internal CD drive.
>
> It has Windows XP and so I could use that to execute something, and I have
> LAN connection.
>
> So the question is, what's the easiest route to getting this running
> something useful?
>
> David

Another alternative is Netbooting which is fairly easy if you have another
machine set up. Ubuntu has good instructions on the community help pages (
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot) and I'm sure it is
similarly easy to do this for other distros such as Fedora. It can get
slightly more complicated if you want to get an unattended setup running but
just getting the installer running off the network instead of the CD is
simple enough.

--
Regards,
Harry Mills