[YLUG] Google Summer of Code - Get Paid to Work on Open Source This Summer

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Mon Apr 5 13:23:34 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Evey year Google run something called the Summer of Code, where they will
pay students to work on open-source projects over the Summer holiday.  If
you're not currently a student, then I'm afraid that this email is of no
use to you.

There are many (~150) open source projects participating this year, with a
full list at
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2010
Each project accepts applications from students wanting to work on
particular projects, and then the project and Google work out together how
many students can be taken on this year.  The student will receive $5000
USD upon completion of the project, with the mentoring organisation
receiving a further $500.

I'm involved in FreeBSD, and as a result the email I've forwarded below is
a little FreeBSD-centric.  While I'd be more than happy to see local
people apply to work with FreeBSD over the summer, be sure to check out
the list if there's another mentoring organisation you'd rather be
involved with.  If you are interested in applying for a FreeBSD project,
feel free to contact me directly or in #freebsd-soc on efnet.

Unfortunately, the timing is a little awkward from a UK education
perspective (we, unlike in the US, have quite a long Easter break at the
undergraduate level), but it would be very nice to get more UK
undergraduate and postgraduate students involved in GSoC.

The deadline for applications is rapidly approaching, so be sure to take a
look at the Google page at http://code.google.com/soc and the mentoring
organisation's project ideas, expecially FreeBSD's list :).  Also note
that many projects will accept ideas that are not on their project ideas
list, so it's worth discussing your project ideas with the mentoring
organisation if you have an idea that isn't suggested.

Thanks,

Gavin
(gavin at FreeBD.org)