[YLUG] GIT talk slides

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Tue Jan 26 20:40:31 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

The slides from yesterday's talk are available here:

  http://www.codelibre.net/~rleigh/ylug-git/

Feel free to put it up on the website.  It also includes
a couple of the datafiles used in the talk, plus the
Inkscape SVG figures (given my awful artistic talents,
these are not a shining example of Inkscape's abilities!).

If you'd like to have a look at and/or play with any of
the git repositories used during the talk, these are the
git URI's:

sbuild (official and my own):
  git://git.debian.org/git/buildd-tools/sbuild
  git://git.debian.org/git/users/rleigh/sbuild

schroot (official and my own):
  git://git.debian.org/git/buildd-tools/schroot
  git://git.debian.org/git/users/rleigh/schroot

linux 2.6:
  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6

If you have git installed, just run 'git clone <uri>' to
get yourself a copy.  For the URIs with my name in, you
should get the main URI first, and then add it with
'git remote add <name> <uri>' and then fetch with
'git fetch <name>'.  This is because they don't contain a
"master" branch (it's purely supplementary changes to the
main repository for people to review work in progress).
Once you've done the clone and/or fetch, you can then
see the available remote branches ('git branch -r') and
then check it out ('git checkout -b <branch>').

The online gitweb browser URIs for the above repositories are:

sbuild:
  http://git.debian.org/?p=buildd-tools/sbuild.git;a=summary
  http://git.debian.org/?p=users/rleigh/sbuild.git;a=summary

schroot:
  http://git.debian.org/?p=buildd-tools/schroot.git;a=summary
  http://git.debian.org/?p=users/rleigh/schroot.git;a=summary

linux 2.6:
  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=summary

One thing not mentioned in the talk that's worth mentioning
in passing is how much git has revolutionised the social
dynamic of free software development.  When most projects
used centralised systems such as CVS or SVN, there was a
distinct split between those who had commit priviliges to
the official repository, and those who did not.  Those who
did not could, at best, get a read-only checkout of the
repository, and this made making any significant changes
very hard.  You couldn't commit any changes, even locally,
so the best you could do was a diff and mail off a patch.
git (and other distributed systems) eliminate the barrier;
since everyone can get their own entire copy of the
repository, and branch, commit etc., there's no limit to
what an "outsider" can do, and this makes it much easier
for newcomers to get involved and contribute meaningfully.

If anyone has any git queries or questions, feel free to
bring them up on the list.  I'm sure I (and our many other
resident git users) will try our best to answer them!

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh