[YLUG] LaTeX class/style for York thesis

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Fri Jun 4 08:13:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 09:45:01PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm about to start the process of writing up my PhD thesis, and I'll be
> using LaTeX for doing this.  The University doesn't appear to have any
> "official" LaTeX thesis class or style to modify an existing document
> class, so I was wondering if anyone was aware of any unofficial ones
> who had already been through the process?

I have an old customised class that I used for my thesis back in the
day.  Should be useful as a refrence point if nothing else.

> Ideally I just think customising the "book" class should be sufficient,
> setting up the margins, size and spacing and perhaps just manually
> constructing the title page and abstract.
>
> I've got a couple of examples but I'm not totally sure I'm completely
> happy with either approach (both customise the "report" document
> class), so I'm really just interested in what other alternative
> approaches exist out there.

The difference between book and report is minimal - default numbering,
division into parts, chapters opening on recto pages are the main ones,
IIRC.  I ended up using book for mine, and adding minimal customisation
to meet the guidelines.

Other options would be the memoir class or something from KOMA-Script.

I'm happy to help out if you want to roll your own customisation, or
adapt some existing one.  Just drop me a line.

--
 -- zoe